Wednesday, 18th September
2 Corinthians 1:1-11
Power in weakness.
Do you feel free amongst Christians, to share your struggles, your weaknesses?
Do you like to pretend that all is OK when you come to church?
A Christian said to me not so long ago: “Why can’t the church be more authentic?”
As I explored this with them, I discovered their concern was to do with pretending:
We pretend all is well, when it is not.
We pretend we are happy, when we are not.
We are too scared to share our struggles, our pain.
In 2 Corinthians, Paul openly shares his sufferings and his discouragement, and says:
“We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about the troubles we experienced in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired of life itself.”
Paul is very quick to share his weakness and his struggles.
Why does Paul do this? Come this Sunday, and we will explore it together.
One Commentator says:
‘I suspect that the vital living faith that God wants to form in us, always remains untried and virtually hypothetical in our lives, until we are similarly brought to a sense of helplessness. Real faith can only be constructed on the ruins of our own self-despair. That is why people do not like the Gospel. It is all too easy to put up your hand at an evangelistic meeting, or to give your testimony at a youth group, or even to be baptised. But the challenge of the New Testament is this: Be a believer unto death, and I will give you a crown of life.’
Lord, help me to understand and grasp the sufferings of Christ.
Help me to be honest about my own weaknesses and sufferings.
And, help me to become less self-reliant and more trusting of You and dependent on my Christian brothers and sisters, Amen.
PRAYER for WEDNESDAY
Today we pray for the following 6 things:
- Pray that at CCB we would seek to be authentic with one another.
- Pray that we at CCB would be good listeners when we speak to one another.
- Pray that we would know the Father of all compassion and comfort.
- Pray that we would through what we have learnt in our sufferings and weaknesses, be prepared to share Christ’s comfort with others.
- Pray that in weakness and suffering, we will become less self-reliant, and more trusting of Christ.
- Pray that we would give ourselves to praying for one another.
March 14, 2020
March 04, 2020