Wednesday, 12th June
Ephesians 5: 18 -21
How much do you believe in singing at church?
Why do we sing at church?
Singing reminds us of what we are all about: The reason God made us and rescued us. Singing is a great response to what God has done for us, and singing is a great way to encourage one another.
The words of God in Ephesians 5 verses 18 – 21 make for very interesting reading.
Paul tells Christians not to get drunk on wine.
He then goes on to tell them to be filled with the Spirit.
It is important to realize that being filled with the Spirit is a call to be filled with Jesus.
The Spirit fills us with Jesus, for the Holy Spirit always points us to Jesus.
The verses then go on to say: ‘Speak to one another with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs. Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.’
A natural consequence of being filled by the Holy spirit with Jesus, is to sing.
Singing is part of being Christian, and a very important part of our gathering together. It embodies all our emotions. In the Old Testament we have 3 books which embody songs: There is the Songs of Solomon, Lamentations, and of course, the Psalms.
Calvin said of the Psalms: “I have been wont to call this book, not inappropriately, an anatomy of all parts of the soul. For there is not an emotion of which any one can be conscious that is not here represented as a mirror.”
The Psalms are full of songs that engage a whole variety of emotions.
So let us Sing.
Oh Lord how great you are you are worthy of all praise,
Help me to lift my voice and my heart to you in song.
Give me a passion to declare what you have done in Christ.
Pray I would want to meet with others and celebrate your abundant goodness.
PRAYER for WEDNESDAY
Today’s prayers are based on a sermon by John Piper:
Pray for CCB:
- That we would be filled with the Holy Spirit.
- That all our worship would be “from the heart.”
- That we would be radically God-focused and God-centred.
- That all would be undergirded by deep, Biblical theology of God’s sovereign goodness, and love.
- That we as a church would provide the most helpful ways for us on a Sunday for you to speak to each other with psalms, hymns and spiritual songs.
- That we would embrace the variety of music and singing that is most helpful for growth here at CCB.
March 14, 2020
March 04, 2020